Dangers About Microwaved Food and Microwave Oven
So many people in Canada use microwave ovens. It is a fast and convenient way to warm up our food, especially if people are in a hurry to eat. But is it the most safest method of re heating and/or cooking food? Is it the smartest method?
Heating up or cooking vegetables kills a percentage of nutrients and antioxidants, even on the oven. They say the healthiest way of ingesting fruits or vegetables is to eat it raw and organic.
The problem is over the past century, the quality of fresh food has declined due to unsustainable farming practices, soil depletion, the use of pesticides & herbicides and farmers being forced to used genetically modified crops for produce which makes our food less healthy. You can no longer assume you’re getting all of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and phytonutrients you need by eating a multitude of fresh produce—even if you’re eating organically, so in my opinion one needs to pay attention to what they eat and how they handle their food to get the best quality of health in their diet.
So is using a microwave the best choice to re heat food?
The first thing you probably noticed after your food comes out of the microwave is how uneven the heating is. So that can get irritating, especially if you have a baby and put a bottle to heat up the formula, there might be un detected hot spot which can harm the child.
MORE SERIOUS PROBLEMS CAUSED BY MICROWAVE OVEN:
- Another problem with microwave ovens is that cancer causing toxins can leach out of your plastic and paper containers/covers, and into your food.
The January/February 1990 issue of Nutrition Action Newsletter reported the leakage of numerous toxic chemicals from the packaging of common microwavable foods, including pizzas, chips and popcorn. Chemicals included polyethylene terpthalate (PET), benzene, toluene, and xylene. Microwaving fatty foods in plastic containers leads to the release of dioxins (known carcinogens) and other toxins into your food.
So plastic from that baby bottle is leaching into the formula. How convenient is that now?
- Radiation Leakage from microwave oven while it’s in operation. Radiation is produced by the microwave while it’s heating the food, which emits outward towards anyone near it. This type of radiation is no good for the body over years of exposure . Please watch this video below which explains RF radiation and uses a Geiger counter (radiation detector) to measure the radiation produced by different technologies and comparing them (includes microwave).
- Microwaving distorts and deforms the molecules of whatever food or other substance you subject to it. An example would be blood factor products
Blood is normally warmed before being transfused into a person. Now we know that microwaving blood products damages the blood components. In fact, one woman died after receiving a transfusion of microwaved blood in 1991.
- Mircrowaving also zaps the nutrients right out of your food. Although even heating things on the oven does the same the microwave is known to be worse.
- A study published in the November 2003 issue of The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture found that broccoli “zapped” in the microwave with a little water lost up to 97 percent of its beneficial antioxidants. By comparison, steamed broccoli lost 11 percent or fewer of its antioxidants. There were also reductions in phenolic compounds and glucosinolates, but mineral levels remained intact.
- A 1999 Scandinavian study of the cooking of asparagus spears found that microwaving caused a reduction in vitamin C .
- In a study of garlic, as little as 60 seconds of microwave heating was enough to inactivate its allinase, garlic’s principle active ingredient against cancer .
- A Japanese study by Watanabe showed that just 6 minutes of microwave heating turned 30-40 percent of the B12 in milk into an inert (dead) form . This study has been cited by Dr. Andrew Weil as evidence supporting his concerns about the effects of microwaving. Dr. Weil wrote:
- “There may be dangers associated with microwaving food… there is a question as to whether microwaving alters protein chemistry in ways that might be harmful.”
- A recent Australian study showed that microwaves cause a higher degree of “protein unfolding” than conventional heating.
- Microwaving can destroy the essential disease-fighting agents in breast milk that offer protection for your baby. In 1992, Quan found that microwaved breast milk lost lysozyme activity, antibodies, and fostered the growth of more potentially pathogenic bacteria .
This is why I don’t use a microwave. People, really? You can’t wait an extra 5 minutes to use the stove or conventional oven? Try heating up your food the old fashion way and you’d be surprised at how much better you will feel and even the texture of food is much better.
The Russians banned Microwave Ovens in 1976 for a reason.